Is ''being straight'' something you're taught by society?

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Do you think we are taught to be straight?

Yes
43%
No
41%
I am not sure
16%

Total votes : 61

Re: Is ''being straight'' something you're taught by society?

Unread postby thaprot » 9th January, 2016, 9:16 am

Long ass post alert. Apparently I have more thoughts than I realised on this subject. :dunno:

The vast majority of people are (at least very predominantly) naturally heterosexual, they have an automatic instinct which attracts them to the opposite geneder. This is not only apparent in the human species, but every other species of animal out there that requires sex to procreate. It is an evolutionary concept and essentially scientifically provable. That heterosexuality is in a vast way the norm in any society is not open to question.

It's worth mentioning as well that in Ancient Greece homosexual relationships were accepted but only in the form of an older man and a young boy between the ages of around 12 and 17. It was seen almost as a rite of passage that a man take a boy under his wing, mentor the boy in the ways of life and educate him, and receive sexal favours in return. Adult same sex relationships were still stigmatised extensively particularly in the case of a passive partner who was seen to diminish his masculinity by doing so. I, personally, wouldn't consider this to be in any way an example of a healthy representation of a society that accepted widespread homosexuality, largely because it really didn't.

The concept of conforming is also one which is fairly ingrained within human nature. Humans are, in essence, a pack animal where conformation and similarities between individuals are generally considered preferable and where ostracisation is considered a terrible thing. In general, a child will look up to their parents and elders and feel like they ought to conform. If their parents are heterosexual their initial instinct will be that heterosexuality is the way to be. This instinct may get usurped later in life when people become aware of their own sexuality but in general children will consider heterosexuality as the correct way they wish to be.

Parents will also naturally assume their children to be similar to them. I think again, it's human nature for this to happen and for them to assume, unless told otherwise, that their son will grow up to find a nice woman or their daughter will grow up to find a nice man. Largely because this is their experience but also because it is the experience of the majority amongst their own parents, elders and peers.

In terms of whether modern society pushes heterosexuality upon us, the answer probably is yes. Because sex sells and the majority of people are heterosexual. Any sort of marketing will attempt to focus on the biggest market possible and it's rarely more apparent where the biggest market lies than with sexuality. I don't think, within Britain at least, that the ratio between how much we see heterosexuality in the media, on tv, in magazines etc and how much we see homosexuality is disproportionate to it's prevalence in society in general.

Ultimately, the arguments that everybody is a little bit bisexual are pretty weak and have little scientific grounding. Is it impossible that it's true? Of course not. But it's pretty obviously apparent that the vast majority of people have a major leaning towards heterosexuality on the spectrum, to the extent they won't even consider the homosexual element to be a thing. I think, of those who actually are bisexual, the ones inclined more towards the same gender are far more likely to have engaged sexuality with their less inclined side than those who are more inclined to the opposite gender will have done with the same gender. Partly because of the stigma, the difficulties in finding a partner and the insecurities that can arise from being unsure of your sexuality. It's much easier just to remain 'straight'.

Essentially, society does reinforce that heterosexuality is the norm. But I don't think it is teaching it as such in any way more than our surroundings would be teaching us regardless. If anything, I think the rise of the internet and a much broader spectrum of media actually raises the awareness for more people that homosexuality is out there too. I know for myself that if it weren't for the internet I would likely not have met many gay people at all and would probably still be convincing myself I'm straight. So it has its ups and its downs.

In answer to the question in the poll, do I think we are taught to be straight, probably. But no more so now than thousands of years ago. For the most part it's a result of human nature.
My inbox is always open, feel free to PM me if you need a friendly face, some advice or just fancy a chat! :)

Similarly, if you need any moddy stuff done and nobody is online, PMs to me send a direct email to my phone so I'll do my best to help ASAP.

Jacketh wrote:Oh, damn. Ignore me. Listen to Josh.
thaprot
taproot the grumpy cat

First name: Josh
Likes received: 4

Unread postby 24oceans » 9th January, 2016, 7:18 pm

Hmm I don't really think you can be "taught" to be straight but I do think it is sometimes excessively encouraged or shoved down your throats. Not sure if this is related but i'll add it anyways. When I was very young, my favorite color was purple and i wanted everything I had and wore to be purple but my mother would not allow it because its a "girl color". Now at age 17 I still get in trouble for screaming in a high pitched voice when I get scared, wearing skinny jeans, listening to "girly music", having longish hair, not liking football, and a ton of other bs that I don't feel like adding.
24oceans

Unread postby Nerolunar » 11th January, 2016, 10:40 am

I don´t know, I guess? We are taught to be straight to some degree, but the world is a lot less homophobic. If a person discovers they are not straight, it´s fairly accepted to do so, so the freedom of "choice" is still there, even though heterosexuality is encouraged. It does depend on country/culture though, obviously.

Image Image
Nerolunar
type of guy to watch himself have sex in a mirror.

First name: Magnus
Likes received: 13

Unread postby slickers222 » 11th January, 2016, 10:59 am

I believe being straight is encouraged, as were taught its man and wife. However, there is no denying how you truly feel about your sexuality.

My father always encouraged my brother and I to go out and meet a nice girl, and that one day we will have the typical storybook life. To that avail, he got 2 gay sons. lmao.

So I dont believe you can be taught to be straight, but you can be taught that gay is wrong, and those who are brought up like that, and are straight, teaches homophobia.
slickers222

First name: Nick

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 1:36 pm

Of anything homosexuality is a taught inclanation. Heterosexuality is the natural thing. Homosexuality is an abnormality that most likely is brought on my outside stimuli
WWE Superstar

Unread postby Sullivan » 15th January, 2016, 5:15 pm

jr1999 wrote:Of anything homosexuality is a taught inclanation. Heterosexuality is the natural thing. Homosexuality is an abnormality that most likely is brought on my outside stimuli

If it were a learned behavior, why do think all those conversion therapy programs are such miserable failures?
Sullivan
Member.

Likes received: 2

Unread postby muddylegs » 15th January, 2016, 5:26 pm

jr1999 wrote:Of anything homosexuality is a taught inclanation. Heterosexuality is the natural thing. Homosexuality is an abnormality that most likely is brought on my outside stimuli

You've had a lot of shit from people on this forum already for not researching your opinions, don't start again.
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY

Likes received: 140

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 5:27 pm

Sullivan wrote:

If it were a learned behavior, why do think all those conversion therapy programs are such miserable failures?

They clearly need more scientific research. It can no doubt be done science just needs to designate more research
WWE Superstar

Unread postby Cobalt » 15th January, 2016, 5:29 pm

I actually believe that heteronormativity in society is the reason why so many people are straight.

Bisexual or homosexual inclinations which would be innocuous when free some such a society are suppressed by the need to be straight to please society, to be like what's displayed in the media, etc. If children were raised in an environment free from societal stigmas and heteronormativity, and educated properly about sex and sexual orientation, I firmly believe that there would not be as many straight people as there are now.

Not that I'm saying heterosexuals are living a lie, or anything. That's the identity that they've developed over the course of their life, which is influenced by heteronormativity in society and potential pressure from conservative family members.
Cobalt
Mafia Mom

Likes received: 122

Team: The Far East

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 5:35 pm

muddylegs wrote:

You've had a lot of shit from people on this forum already for not researching your opinions, don't start again.

For having a different opinion? I have the right to believe different things
WWE Superstar

Unread postby muddylegs » 15th January, 2016, 5:39 pm

jr1999 wrote:
muddylegs wrote:

I want to respect your opinions but this is homophobic, and you've made no attempt to back up or justify your thoughts. Taking into account the fact that homosexuality is found in literally hundreds of animal species, and that even people who are conditioned by their country or family to hate gays can be gay, the suggestion of 'outside stimuli' is incredibly vague.
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY

Unread postby Circles » 15th January, 2016, 5:41 pm

Willful ignorance is just a little bit different from having valid opinions

But okay :keke:

In regards to the OP (I felt I should add some actual substance to my reply, considering this is ID), I feel straightness is taught, at least in a manner of speaking. I was taught being gay is a terrible terrible thing, that being straight is normal, is what everyone should be. If you stray from heterosexuality and gender norms you're an abomination. Even now my parents try to "teach" me to be straight. I can't put a flower in my hair, I have to keep my nails short, my hair can't get too long, I can't let my voice get too "faggy". Maybe sexuality itself can't be taught, but every corresponding stereotype, expectation, and trait of heterosexuality certainly can, and that may just accomplish nearly the same thing. When I first knew I was gay, I panicked and entered denial because I thought it was so bad, so utterly impossible that I could be that thing everyone I knew, including myself, abhorred. I found my way out of that stage of life, thank goodness, but maybe a lot of people don't.

Just my quickly smashed together thoughts.
Last edited by Circles on 15th January, 2016, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageoooo
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Circles
Twinkerbell

First name: Marshall
Likes received: 55

Unread postby thaprot » 15th January, 2016, 5:43 pm

Cobalt wrote:I actually believe that heteronormativity in society is the reason why so many people are straight.

Bisexual or homosexual inclinations which would be innocuous when free some such a society are suppressed by the need to be straight to please society, to be like what's displayed in the media, etc. If children were raised in an environment free from societal stigmas and heteronormativity, and educated properly about sex and sexual orientation, I firmly believe that there would not be as many straight people as there are now.

Not that I'm saying heterosexuals are living a lie, or anything. That's the identity that they've developed over the course of their life, which is influenced by heteronormativity in society and potential pressure from conservative family members.

I think that's largely nonsense, to be totally honest, based far too much on supposition.

Homosexuality is exhibited in huge amounts of species across the animal kingdom. Yet in most of these it's the minority that display homosexual behaviour, despite existing without the societal stigmas described. I don't see why homosapiens should be any different.
My inbox is always open, feel free to PM me if you need a friendly face, some advice or just fancy a chat! :)

Similarly, if you need any moddy stuff done and nobody is online, PMs to me send a direct email to my phone so I'll do my best to help ASAP.

thaprot
taproot the grumpy cat

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 5:45 pm

muddylegs wrote:
jr1999 wrote:
muddylegs wrote:

I want to respect your opinions but this is homophobic, and you've made no attempt to back up or justify your thoughts. Taking into account the fact that homosexuality is found in literally hundreds of animal species, and that even people who are conditioned by their country or family to hate gays can be gay, the suggestion of 'outside stimuli' is incredibly vague.

How do we know childhood experiences dont contribute to homosexuality?
WWE Superstar

Unread postby thaprot » 15th January, 2016, 5:46 pm

jr1999 wrote:How do we know childhood experiences dont contribute to homosexuality?

What makes you think that they do?

thaprot
taproot the grumpy cat

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 5:47 pm

thaprot wrote:
jr1999 wrote:How do we know childhood experiences dont contribute to homosexuality?

Our experiences during childhood contribute to alot of our habits preferences and other things
WWE Superstar

Unread postby thaprot » 15th January, 2016, 5:48 pm

jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:

Our experiences during childhood contribute to alot of our habits preferences and other things

Such as?

thaprot
taproot the grumpy cat

Unread postby shoki » 15th January, 2016, 5:49 pm

thaprot wrote:
Cobalt wrote:I actually believe that heteronormativity in society is the reason why so many people are straight.

I think that's largely nonsense, to be totally honest, based far too much on supposition.

Homosexuality is exhibited in huge amounts of species across the animal kingdom. Yet in most of these it's the minority that display homosexual behaviour, despite existing without the societal stigmas described. I don't see why homosapiens should be any different.

If I recall correctly roughly 90% of giraffe sex (attempted or successful) is homosexual. Which is pretty cool
Holy shit look at that fuckin hot mess.
shoki
stupid meanie doodoo head

Unread postby muddylegs » 15th January, 2016, 5:51 pm

jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:

Childhood experiences don't contribute towards race, gender, sex... why should they be seen as attributes of sexuality?
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 5:54 pm

muddylegs wrote:
jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:

Childhood experiences don't contribute towards race, gender, sex... why should they be seen as attributes of sexuality?

Its a mental state similar to how experience in war causes ptsd
WWE Superstar

PreviousNext

Recently active