US Politics: GOP victories in SC/GA

A forum for the respectful exchange of views on thought-provoking topics, whether sexuality-related or otherwise; please read the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

GTF's Presidential Approval: At this moment, do you approve of Donald Trump's job as President?

Yes
19%
No
81%

Total votes : 75

Re: US Politics: Trump Administration & 115th Congress

Unread postby Ebsy » 20th March, 2017, 4:47 pm

Jacketh wrote:
Ebsy wrote:Image

Not good!

I really, really, hope the Dems don't screw up the primaries in 2020.

What is you opinion on Al Franken, Nick?

He's not going to run.
Will wrote:Eye contact is serious. Make sure you get tested for H-eye-V.
Thumper wrote:I've read washing machine manuals that aroused me more.
Ebsy
EBay

Likes received: 32

Unread postby Ebsy » 22nd March, 2017, 11:41 pm

Ryan is down 10 votes, but the vote on the AHCA is still on for tomorrow. Going down to the wire.
Ebsy
EBay

Unread postby Knope » 23rd March, 2017, 12:29 am

Koch brothers now strong-arming House Republicans.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/ ... alth-care/
ImageImageImage
Knope
Westeros' Vice Captain
Popularité Third Place

Likes received: 75

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 23rd March, 2017, 4:44 am

Knope wrote:Koch brothers now strong-arming House Republicans.

something something drain the swamp
KING OF THE PRIDE LANDS: CAPTAIN OF TEAM LION KING

House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros

TheBrunswickian
Jesslut, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 279

Team: Lion King

Unread postby GaycrazyBoi » 23rd March, 2017, 3:58 pm

TheBrunswickian wrote:
Knope wrote:Koch brothers now strong-arming House Republicans.

something something drain the swamp

Yeah, that's one of my main beefs with Trump. He promised he'd stop special interests, then he filled his staff, advisers, etc. up with special interests. Now he's letting special interests control and lobby for healthcare laws.

Dear government-

1. Stay out of my healthcare.
2. Stay out of our bodies
3. STAY OUT OF MY MONEY
4. Stay out of my actions.
GaycrazyBoi

First name: Nate
Likes received: 44

Team: Spirited Away

Unread postby Ebsy » 23rd March, 2017, 4:00 pm

The vote has been delayed: ie: they don't have the votes to pass the AHCA through the House. What a bunch of incompetent morons we have elected to lead our great nation.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ebsy
EBay

Unread postby Pity » 23rd March, 2017, 7:35 pm

The Senate has just voted to repeal protections fof the customers of internet service providers. If it passes the House, your ISP will be able to sell your browsing history to third-parties without permission. I will be fighting tooth and nail with my representative to make sure he doesn't vote for it. My senator will be hearing me bitch about his vote for it too.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Likes received: 302

Team: How To Train Your Dragon

Unread postby Pity » 24th March, 2017, 3:52 pm

BREAKING: Paul Ryan has cancelled the vote on the American Healthcare Care (ACA replacement) and Trump has given up on it. The bill was expected to fail as blocs, such as the House Freedom Caucus, wholely opposed it.

Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Knope » 24th March, 2017, 5:05 pm

I'm very happy about this, and it is a victory for Dems, but there's so much more to focus on. I fear all of these setbacks will render McConnell and the Senate GOP even more willing to go nuclear on Gorsuch, purely because Republicans as a whole will be desperate to actually accomplish something.
ImageImageImage
Knope
Westeros' Vice Captain
Popularité Third Place

Likes received: 75

Unread postby GaycrazyBoi » 24th March, 2017, 5:31 pm

Pity wrote:The Senate has just voted to repeal protections fof the customers of internet service providers. If it passes the House, your ISP will be able to sell your browsing history to third-parties without permission. I will be fighting tooth and nail with my representative to make sure he doesn't vote for it. My senator will be hearing me bitch about his vote for it too.

I am kind of glad I haven't searched anything too bad without going through at least 16 servers...
GaycrazyBoi

Unread postby Dessy » 24th March, 2017, 6:59 pm

"Obamacare is the law of the land." -Paul Ryan

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Dessy
The Shady Moderator

First name: Des
Likes received: 265

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 24th March, 2017, 8:50 pm

so much winning

TheBrunswickian

Unread postby GaycrazyBoi » 24th March, 2017, 9:30 pm

TheBrunswickian wrote:so much winning

To be fair, if the Democrats would be open to compromise, then he could get something done. Instead, no compromise. The Dems wouldn't even compromise during Obama. I don't think that Trump's policies are good, but the Dems should compromise. The only winning he's done is that damn pipeline, which I hate but also love, hate for personal reasons, love for economic reasons.
GaycrazyBoi

Unread postby Dessy » 24th March, 2017, 9:41 pm

GaycrazyBoi wrote:
TheBrunswickian wrote:so much winning

To be fair, if the Democrats would be open to compromise, then he could get something done. Instead, no compromise. The Dems wouldn't even compromise during Obama. I don't think that Trump's policies are good, but the Dems should compromise. The only winning he's done is that damn pipeline, which I hate but also love, hate for personal reasons, love for economic reasons.

For Trump? Nah. Impeachment time.

We might see some with the infrastructure plan though, I guess.

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Dessy
The Shady Moderator

First name: Des
Likes received: 265

Unread postby bluesunstorm » 24th March, 2017, 10:00 pm

Pity wrote:The Senate has just voted to repeal protections fof the customers of internet service providers. If it passes the House, your ISP will be able to sell your browsing history to third-parties without permission. I will be fighting tooth and nail with my representative to make sure he doesn't vote for it. My senator will be hearing me bitch about his vote for it too.

I could think of plenty of issues so much more important. I'm pretty disinterested either way, since it doesn't matter if you're not doing anything illicit, and it's not like anyone is going to care what some rando is searching for on the Internet. It was just pretty annoying when I heard some white heterosexual males suggesting that politicians use wedge issues like marriage equality, transgender equality, reproductive rights, race relations, etc. to distract from "real" issues like what the NSA and such is doing. The issues I listed affect the lives of people so much more than whether some third-party knows I have a crush on Ethan Hawke or that I'm addicted to shopping on Amazon. I guess when you don't have to worry about being treated equality under the law or in society, you can ruminate over minuscule issues like your ISP selling your browsing third-parties for targeted ads.
I loves Kylie Minogue, rainbows, sprinkles, teddy bears, Lisa Frank, Hello Kitty, pop & dance music, and Lindsay Lohan movies.
bluesunstorm

First name: Casey
Likes received: 4

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 24th March, 2017, 10:05 pm

Reading reports that White House aides are purging their phones before they get subpoenaed. Not like that violates the Presidential Records Act or anything

TheBrunswickian

Unread postby Togetik » 24th March, 2017, 10:33 pm

GaycrazyBoi wrote:To be fair, if the Democrats would be open to compromise, then he could get something done. Instead, no compromise. The Dems wouldn't even compromise during Obama. I don't think that Trump's policies are good, but the Dems should compromise. The only winning he's done is that damn pipeline, which I hate but also love, hate for personal reasons, love for economic reasons.

Compromise on what? What's being suggested by the Trump administration that anyone has any sense to compromise on?

There's nothing reasonable coming out of Trump's whitehouse, and you can't try and compromise on things that are unreasonable to get them workable when it's in everyone's best interests to just shoot them down.
Togetik

Likes received: 60

Unread postby Pity » 24th March, 2017, 11:05 pm

bluesunstorm wrote:

I could think of plenty of issues so much more important. I'm pretty disinterested either way, since it doesn't matter if you're not doing anything illicit, and it's not like anyone is going to care what some rando is searching for on the Internet. It was just pretty annoying when I heard some white heterosexual males suggesting that politicians use wedge issues like marriage equality, transgender equality, reproductive rights, race relations, etc. to distract from "real" issues like what the NSA and such is doing. The issues I listed affect the lives of people so much more than whether some third-party knows I have a crush on Ethan Hawke or that I'm addicted to shopping on Amazon. I guess when you don't have to worry about being treated equality under the law or in society, you can ruminate over minuscule issues like your ISP selling your browsing third-parties for targeted ads.

If you want to voluntarily surrender your human right to privacy, move to North Korea or Turkey. The argument "it doesn't matter if you aren't doing anything illegal" is totally flawed as it should not be the business of any third party what I search on the internet. I do find this law more important from the largely silly issues you mentioned because it creates a slippery slope. For example, this law would make 100% legal for law enforcement agencies, the NSA, or the CIA to bypass the fourth amendment by purchasing browsing data rather than illegally spying. Who knows what this would do should Comcast get an especially greedy CEO or we elect an actual fascist?
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Togetik » 25th March, 2017, 1:25 am

Trump's presidential delegation to the UN summit on women('s rights?) contains members of at least one hate group, who are directly opposed to the UN as a concept and are against federal programs to address violence against women.

They're also notoriously anti-LGBT (And actually recgonized as a hate group because of repeated calls to "criminalise homosexuality"), but that's a little less glaring given that the majority of his cabinet is almost as bad anyway, and the idea that an anti-lgbt hate group would hold his favour is hardly surprising.
Togetik

Likes received: 60

Unread postby Pity » 25th March, 2017, 1:30 am

Togetik wrote:Trump's presidential delegation to the UN summit on women('s rights?) contains members of at least one hate group, who are directly opposed to the UN as a concept and are against federal programs to address violence against women.

They're also notoriously anti-LGBT (And actually recgonized as a hate group because of repeated calls to "criminalise homosexuality"), but that's a little less glaring given that the majority of his cabinet is almost as bad anyway, and the idea that an anti-lgbt hate group would hold his favour is hardly surprising.

The Southern Poverty Law Center labels any conservative group as a hate group and is known for making up its hate crime statistics. Regardless, why do I care if the woman is in the organization? It's about women's issues, not LGBT issues.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

PreviousNext

Recently active