Active topics
Unread | New posts
Your bookmarks
Your friends' posts
Your posts | Quotes
Welcome, CommonCrawl [Bot]!

It is currently 31st October, 2014, 10:00 am

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Page 6 of 8 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marijuana
Unread postPosted: 7th January, 2012, 4:44 pm 
The only reason why Weed isn't legalized is it cause it lowers productivity, as it slows you down and makes you less profitable. ye same does Alcohol and why it is Legal is cause its ratter ancient, its a part of our tradition. They tried to Abolish alcoholism in Sweden somewhere around 1900-50's with lowering the amount of alcohol ever man/woman could purchase, and it did not last. Now most of the alcohol trade is handled by the government who takes exaggerated amounts of money for alcohol *It will lower the alcohol consumption* and "Not" cause the government makes shitloads of cash out of the System (in Sweden). Yet almost all I know smokes weed (And not a junkie) specially the "Smart" ones prefers it more then alcohol. But please i beg you, describe why would the government prescribe drugs (Even chemicals in our food) that is dangerous, not only for our health but also physically dangerous to us? Cause they can regulate the numbers of how much drugs will sell on the market and the price, also those drugs doesn't affect your work, as your only purpose to the government is to drag in tax and money to the billion dollar executives that you work for. Why else would antidepressant drugs that is almost classed as Ecstasy be legal while a joint isn't? In what way are Marijuana more dangerous?

Unread postPosted: 8th January, 2012, 4:10 am 
NoPurpose wrote:
The only reason why Weed isn't legalized is it cause it lowers productivity, as it slows you down and makes you less profitable. ye same does Alcohol and why it is Legal is cause its ratter ancient, its a part of our tradition. They tried to Abolish alcoholism in Sweden somewhere around 1900-50's with lowering the amount of alcohol ever man/woman could purchase, and it did not last. Now most of the alcohol trade is handled by the government who takes exaggerated amounts of money for alcohol *It will lower the alcohol consumption* and "Not" cause the government makes shitloads of cash out of the System (in Sweden). Yet almost all I know smokes weed (And not a junkie) specially the "Smart" ones prefers it more then alcohol. But please i beg you, describe why would the government prescribe drugs (Even chemicals in our food) that is dangerous, not only for our health but also physically dangerous to us? Cause they can regulate the numbers of how much drugs will sell on the market and the price, also those drugs doesn't affect your work, as your only purpose to the government is to drag in tax and money to the billion dollar executives that you work for. Why else would antidepressant drugs that is almost classed as Ecstasy be legal while a joint isn't? In what way are Marijuana more dangerous?

Marijuana is not illegal because it lowers productivity.

"Yet almost all I know smokes weed (And not a junkie) specially the "Smart" ones prefers it more then alcohol."

You just mentioned "junkie" regarding marijuana. There's the door, now gtfo.

Hoping I just got trolled. It's 4 am and I'm high off the pain meds so who knows. Just hoping that post was a joke and not one of the dumbest/ most poorly written things I've ever read on the intrawebs

Unread postPosted: 8th January, 2012, 4:51 am 
I don't like Marijuana and I don't drink alcohol. I'm kind of a stick in the mud.

It's not that I think it's particularly bad, I just hate it when people smoke it around me because it smells terrible and for some reason people like to sit next to me on the bus after smoking it. Do you people have any idea how hard it is to be polite and not gag or cover my mouth when this happens? Therefore, I don't support it being legal for the simple fact that it would make my bus rides undoubtedly more awful.

Unread postPosted: 8th January, 2012, 4:55 am 
eterna wrote:
I don't like Marijuana and I don't drink alcohol. I'm kind of a stick in the mud.

You've probably never tried it

Unread postPosted: 8th January, 2012, 4:56 am 
ultimaterager wrote:
eterna wrote:

You've probably never tried it

Nope never will either, I personally don't feel I need it; although I have been offered.

Unread postPosted: 10th January, 2012, 9:21 pm 
nate1234 wrote:
Oranges! wrote:
nate1234 wrote:
Oranges! wrote:
The United States national debt is about 15 trillion dollars.

In 2006, $68,747,203,000 was spent on corrections.

The percentage of Federal prisoners serving time for drug offenses is 55%
The percentage of State prisoners serving time for drug offenses is 21%

Not incarcerating people for drug related charges would drastically decrease the amount of money spent on maintaining prisons. I'm not saying all drugs should be legalized, but a fine should be as far as it goes.

I don't know the percentage of people in prison for marijuana offenses, but I'm guessing it's significant enough that legalizing marijuana would decrease the amount spent on corrections.

That along with the taxation of marijuana would be quite the boost to the economy, which is necessary.

(I realize not everyone is from the United States, but I'm guessing the situation is similar (on a smaller scale))

CA alone spends 44 million every year incarcerating people for MJ only offenses. That's a nice little chunk of change in my book.

That's a huge amount, especially keeping in mind that California is considered one of, if not the most, lenient state concerning marijuana.

Listen to how crazy some people. I was reading an article about how the CMA(CA medical association) is for legalizing marijuana. The guy that was like "44 million is a lot, but with a prison budget of 10 billion, it hardly makes an impact." :wtf: I was like, when the fuk did 44 million become a small amount.

0.44% of 10 billion is a small amount. I don't know what kind of person does not think that to be true.

Unread postPosted: 10th January, 2012, 9:33 pm 
T-Bag!
eterna wrote:

It's not that I think it's particularly bad, I just hate it when people smoke it around me because it smells terrible and for some reason people like to sit next to me on the bus after smoking it. Do you people have any idea how hard it is to be polite and not gag or cover my mouth when this happens? Therefore, I don't support it being legal for the simple fact that it would make my bus rides undoubtedly more awful.

I agree with you on this. I've tried both, I kind of liked weed, but everything here gets laced, so I avoid, and I'm poor. What really annoys me is the people that you want to hang out with just smoke the whole time. Maybe if we were all smoking, it would be less annoying. But when it's only two in a group of a dozen, and they're being stupid, it gets really annoying.

Unread postPosted: 10th January, 2012, 9:42 pm 
eterna wrote:

You don't support it being legal, yet, people will still smoke it. So it doesn't matter of the legality to be frank. :lol:
People are going to do what they want with their life, no matter how much it bothers you. That's life.

Quote:
Gary Johnson couldn't say it any better....

"The parallels between drug policy today and Prohibition in the 1920’s are obvious, as are the lessons our nation learned. Prohibition was repealed because it made matters worse. Today, no one is trying to sell our kids bathtub gin in the schoolyard and micro-breweries aren’t protecting their turf with machine guns. It’s time to apply that thinking to marijuana. By making it a legal, regulated product, availability can be restricted, under-age use curtailed, enforcement/court/incarceration costs reduced, and the profit removed from a massive underground and criminal economy.

By managing marijuana like alcohol and tobacco – regulating, taxing and enforcing its lawful use – America will be better off. The billions saved on marijuana interdiction, along with the billions captured as legal revenue, can be redirected against the individuals committing real crimes against society."

Also, I support this view.

Unread postPosted: 11th January, 2012, 2:07 am 
Quote:
You don't support it being legal, yet, people will still smoke it. So it doesn't matter of the legality to be frank.
People are going to do what they want with their life, no matter how much it bothers you. That's life.

Yes, but if it's legal undoubtedly more would do it. I'm not saying I really care if you do it, but could some people at least have the decency to wait until they get home?

Unread postPosted: 11th January, 2012, 2:21 am 
Would you do it, if it were legal?

Unread postPosted: 11th January, 2012, 5:26 am 
Legalize it!
I'll never smoke any, because he concept of smoking seems weird, but it's ok!

Unread postPosted: 11th January, 2012, 6:06 pm 
Tanner wrote:
eterna wrote:

I agree with you on this. I've tried both, I kind of liked weed, but everything here gets laced, so I avoid, and I'm poor. What really annoys me is the people that you want to hang out with just smoke the whole time. Maybe if we were all smoking, it would be less annoying. But when it's only two in a group of a dozen, and they're being stupid, it gets really annoying.

Are you fucking kidding me? I almost can guarantee you've never come across laced weed. That's almost nothing more than a myth to aid in the scare tactics. People selling laced weed is pretty fucking rare and it's fairly likely that most if not all the weed sold around you isn't laced.

Find new friends. Yeah when kids start smoking at 13 they're fucking annoying, but that doesn't mean marijuana is bad.
----------------------------------
To the op you quoted
Um cig smoke lingers on clothes and smells nasty, weed smoke doesn't. You should learn the difference before you yell about it.

eterna wrote:
Quote:
You don't support it being legal, yet, people will still smoke it. So it doesn't matter of the legality to be frank.

Yes, but if it's legal undoubtedly more would do it. I'm not saying I really care if you do it, but could some people at least have the decency to wait until they get home?

Again I can almost guarantee it's cig smokers that are bothering you.

CodyMc wrote:
Legalize it!
I'll never smoke any, because he concept of smoking seems weird, but it's ok!

Not a bad approach for now but give it a few years. You'll be amazed at how things change

Unread postPosted: 11th January, 2012, 10:20 pm 
If You Seek Amy
Muspelli wrote:
nate1234 wrote:
Oranges! wrote:
nate1234 wrote:
Oranges! wrote:
The United States national debt is about 15 trillion dollars.

In 2006, $68,747,203,000 was spent on corrections.

The percentage of Federal prisoners serving time for drug offenses is 55%
The percentage of State prisoners serving time for drug offenses is 21%

Not incarcerating people for drug related charges would drastically decrease the amount of money spent on maintaining prisons. I'm not saying all drugs should be legalized, but a fine should be as far as it goes.

I don't know the percentage of people in prison for marijuana offenses, but I'm guessing it's significant enough that legalizing marijuana would decrease the amount spent on corrections.

That along with the taxation of marijuana would be quite the boost to the economy, which is necessary.

(I realize not everyone is from the United States, but I'm guessing the situation is similar (on a smaller scale))

CA alone spends 44 million every year incarcerating people for MJ only offenses. That's a nice little chunk of change in my book.

That's a huge amount, especially keeping in mind that California is considered one of, if not the most, lenient state concerning marijuana.

Listen to how crazy some people. I was reading an article about how the CMA(CA medical association) is for legalizing marijuana. The guy that was like "44 million is a lot, but with a prison budget of 10 billion, it hardly makes an impact." :wtf: I was like, when the fuk did 44 million become a small amount.

0.44% of 10 billion is a small amount. I don't know what kind of person does not think that to be true.

Yes it may be a small percentage of the total budget. But the scale is also ridiculously huge. Anyone who's saying 44 million dollars saved is not significant is just wrong.

Besides the 44 million dollars was what someone quoted for the amount California spent detaining marijuana users/sellers. I have no idea how correct this is. But like I said earlier, the Federal prisons was detaining over twice the percentage for drug use than the State Prisons. So the amount spent on detaining marijuana users is definitely significant enough. Especially in this economy.

Unread postPosted: 12th January, 2012, 1:27 am 
Now the flip-side. Tobacco in its natural state isn't really harmful either but the major companies put tons of....shit in it. What do you think they would do if they got their hands on weed. It would no longer be considered safe to smoke either. Don't get me wrong i love me some weed :stoner: but as is thank you

Unread postPosted: 12th January, 2012, 1:46 am 
ultimaterager wrote:
jacktx wrote:
I'm not gonna pick apart you're entire response to something I wrote like a week ago.

All I was trying to say was that it shouldn't be a mystery to people why a government like ours would keep something like marijuana illegal. If none of what I said is true, then why isn't it legal? The current policies are obviously benefiting the people in power in some way, or they wouldn't be in place.

And all I said about cartels is that I'm 100% positive that that's not where my weed comes from. I'd say more, but we're on the fucking internet. It was only brought up as a quip about me being glad I can evade taxes due to marijuana's illegality, which was a stupid joke, I know.

You're ignorant. And you didn't say that, you said "I can't speak for everyone on this, but I know where my weed money goes. It stays in town. The marijuana from Mexico doesn't make it far past the border, because they don't let anyone sell who lives in the parts of Texas that are basically Mexico. It gets smoked before it gets this far north."

= read a book or stop speaking.

My bad. A dude in north New York with a media driven idealization of Mexico and cartels definitely knows more about what's going on down there than someone who lives right next to it. Idk what I was thinking really.

No, but I forgot I said that part. Yeah, I got busted with that map that shows Mexican weed further north than me, but I don't know how else to explain the fact that a majority of the weed circulating my entire city is grown locally indoors and I'm only 250 miles from the border.

Smoke some weed and chill bro.

Unread postPosted: 12th January, 2012, 1:53 am 
Lilac Fairy
So much anger.. chill bros'...

Unread postPosted: 12th January, 2012, 1:54 am 
I don't really know much about pot being as though I've never tried it. I'm not really for it, though, because the people that I've talked to or been around on it act like complete dumbf*cks. They don't know what they're talking about, they don't remember later what I've told them, it's impossible to have a serious conversation with them. Some people are cool I guess when they're on pot, and they act chilled out or whatever but who wants a vegetable. xD
The argument that it makes you more creative... you can't be creative on your own without drugs? :s Maybe it'd make it easier or something because your brain is tripping out but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.. xD I don't know. It just seems like a waste of time and money to me. And it smells like trash.

Also LEGALIZE POT!!!!!!!! everywhere and having pot smokers argue and talk about how good it is gets really old after a while. haha. :s

Here I go making another nice thread into a wasteland again. Goddamn.

Unread postPosted: 12th January, 2012, 10:17 am 
jaehyeon wrote:
I don't really know much about pot being as though I've never tried it. I'm not really for it, though, because the people that I've talked to or been around on it act like complete dumbf*cks. They don't know what they're talking about, they don't remember later what I've told them, it's impossible to have a serious conversation with them. Some people are cool I guess when they're on pot, and they act chilled out or whatever but who wants a vegetable. xD
The argument that it makes you more creative... you can't be creative on your own without drugs? :s Maybe it'd make it easier or something because your brain is tripping out but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.. xD I don't know. It just seems like a waste of time and money to me. And it smells like trash.

Also LEGALIZE POT!!!!!!!! everywhere and having pot smokers argue and talk about how good it is gets really old after a while. haha. :s

Here I go making another nice thread into a wasteland again. Goddamn.

LOL believe me, you are not creative when you're on some vicodin, or how about some antidepressants? If people think they're creative when they're using it, let them, I don't see anything wrong with it.

However it is sometimes annoying when the constant users start to get really tired and wanna fall asleep when you're hanging out with them. That bugs me.

And no, just because it's legal doesn't mean you, your mom, dad, grandma, and all your neighbors are going to be smoking and hittin' the jay. FYI :keke:

Unread postPosted: 12th January, 2012, 3:06 pm 
babyitsfact wrote:
Now the flip-side. Tobacco in its natural state isn't really harmful either but the major companies put tons of....shit in it. What do you think they would do if they got their hands on weed. It would no longer be considered safe to smoke either. Don't get me wrong i love me some weed :stoner: but as is thank you

really not a great argument. People are going to grow legit marijuana. If the stuff isn't decent, people will buy it somewhere else. Look at the huge medical grows. There would be large scale legal grows for business.

Saying you like it as it is means you don't know enough about it.

jacktx wrote:
ultimaterager wrote:
jacktx wrote:
I'm not gonna pick apart you're entire response to something I wrote like a week ago.

All I was trying to say was that it shouldn't be a mystery to people why a government like ours would keep something like marijuana illegal. If none of what I said is true, then why isn't it legal? The current policies are obviously benefiting the people in power in some way, or they wouldn't be in place.

And all I said about cartels is that I'm 100% positive that that's not where my weed comes from. I'd say more, but we're on the fucking internet. It was only brought up as a quip about me being glad I can evade taxes due to marijuana's illegality, which was a stupid joke, I know.

You're ignorant. And you didn't say that, you said "I can't speak for everyone on this, but I know where my weed money goes. It stays in town. The marijuana from Mexico doesn't make it far past the border, because they don't let anyone sell who lives in the parts of Texas that are basically Mexico. It gets smoked before it gets this far north."

= read a book or stop speaking.

My bad. A dude in north New York with a media driven idealization of Mexico and cartels definitely knows more about what's going on down there than someone who lives right next to it. Idk what I was thinking really.

No, but I forgot I said that part. Yeah, I got busted with that map that shows Mexican weed further north than me, but I don't know how else to explain the fact that a majority of the weed circulating my entire city is grown locally indoors and I'm only 250 miles from the border.

Smoke some weed and chill bro.

Dude read a book already man. You really should just leave and go look some stuff up. I've spent wayyyy to much time researching the drug war for years. The one subject that has always fascinated me.

"A dude in north New York with a media driven idealization of Mexico and cartels definitely knows more about what's going on down there than someone who lives right next to it. Idk what I was thinking really."

You'd be surprised the amount of weed that comes in from the north and the south. It's really not all that hard and there's plenty of money to be made. You'd don't even know what you're talking about. You think that weed from mexico is smoked before it makes it north of texas? I'm not even talking about the map, I'm talking common sense.

"No, but I forgot I said that part. Yeah, I got busted with that map that shows Mexican weed further north than me, but I don't know how else to explain the fact that a majority of the weed circulating my entire city is grown locally indoors and I'm only 250 miles from the border"

You probably don't even know where your weed is grown. With the knowledge you've dropped so far in this thread it It wouldn't be too much of a guess.

"Smoke some weed and chill bro"

First you're probably 12, and second I don't blaze anymore bro

CallMeJules wrote:
So much anger.. chill bros'...

I don't get angry, I get amused and driven when people call me out on the drug war

Unread postPosted: 12th January, 2012, 4:45 pm 
I don't really see a problem with it, other than one thing. It's usually fine with younger people, but any older people I've met, maybe in their thirties or more who regularly smoke pot don't seem to have much drive or ambition. It kind of makes them lazy, and that's not great if you're in a situation where you need to look after your kids, or if you're unemployed and need to find a job etc. I don't know, maybe they turn to it for depression, and it only temporarily makes them feel better. And if it were legalised, more adults would start smoking it. Obviously I'm not saying this is a reason why it should or shouldn't be legalised, and I'm probably generalising a lot...but it's just a little trend I've noticed. :P

Page 6 of 8 [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]