Active topics
Unread | New posts
Your bookmarks
Your friends' posts
Your posts | Quotes
Welcome, CommonCrawl [Bot]!

It is currently 28th July, 2014, 8:42 pm

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Human Diet
Unread postPosted: 18th June, 2011, 5:53 pm 
Watch "Food Matters". Its a really cool documentary about the state of food we have atm.

Unread postPosted: 18th June, 2011, 10:12 pm 
I don't even know what to think on this subject anymore. When I see things like this: http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthr ... ngest-meat
It makes me wonder wtf is going on in people's heads. On the other hand I can see why it would be seen that we might not be designed to eat meat.
My conclusion is just take everything in moderation, I don't always have meat or animal based produce in my meals and I'm pretty healthy (apart from having a higher heart rate than I should have because I don't work out >_>).

Unread postPosted: 19th June, 2011, 3:44 am 
There really is no one set diet for a human being. It mostly depends on the type of body, or lifestyle, that you want to live. If you are looking to bulk up on muscle, a diet consisting lots of proteins and carbs will be your ideal diet.

It also depends on your own philosophy. There are some who think that he best diet for a human is a diet that mimic our ancient ancestors. Thus you have the paleolithoc diet, which consists of the removal of any processed, or foods that were unedible to humans before modern processes. This the removal of thinks like grains, potatoes, and dairy products from your diet. Basically, you want to get as close to the hunting/gathering lifestyle as possible. Except the only hunting you'll be doing is at your local supermarket.

There is one thing I know for certain. The modern day importance placed on calories is annoying. Yes , lower calories is good for you, there are also other factors you need to look at. First of all, what lifestyle are you living? Are you living a very active lifestyle? You will need a higher caloric intake. You also need to look at the fats, sugar, carbohydrates, and sodium. Generally, the lower the better.

I'll end with, unless you are looking to promote hypertrophy, whole milk is not the best for you. Low fat, reduced milk is best. If you are looking to gain strength, and not necessarily muscle, chocolate milk is one of the best this you can have. Dont waste money on that whether protein. Get chocolate milk. So much better for you.

Unread postPosted: 24th June, 2011, 3:08 am 
All I need is chicken breasts, green veggies, cottage cheese and other dairy products and steak.

About 4000 calories of it a day.

Unread postPosted: 24th June, 2011, 3:12 am 
That Canadian Guy wrote:
All I need is chicken breasts, green veggies, cottage cheese and other dairy products and steak.

You must work out a lot?
4000 calories a day sounds a bit ridiculous, imo.

Anyways, I agree with bjurg. You can't really define what someone should and shouldn't eat..
Either you eat it, or you don't.
Regardless, it doesn't really matter to me. We eat it, we rot, we die.

Unread postPosted: 24th June, 2011, 3:29 am 
Honor wrote:
That Canadian Guy wrote:

You must work out a lot?
4000 calories a day sounds a bit ridiculous, imo.

Anyways, I agree with bjurg. You can't really define what someone should and shouldn't eat..
Either you eat it, or you don't.
Regardless, it doesn't really matter to me. We eat it, we rot, we die.

6'5"+225lbs+high metabolism+trying to gain muscle=4,000 calories a day.

To be honest switching from eating whatever I felt like to healthy foods only, I feel so much better in general, unhealthy foods make me gag these days, besides pastries etc., but like fast food and such just does not do it for me any more.

I think in the end, as long as you don't get carried away and get your protein/fats/carbs in a decent manner, you can eat what you want.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 12:43 am 
I think human diet consist of proper healthy and balanced diet which includes more amount of vitamins and nutrients.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 1:30 am 
I've been vegetarian for about 2 years, and I feel much better than I did when I ate meat. I've always hated meat, with the exception of chicken and occasionally beef depending how it was served (tacos, soup) so it was very easy to give up. Really the only things I had to cut out of my diet were chicken, some broths and soups made wit chicken/beef stock, and some candies made with gelatin. Most meat foods can be made vegetarian, and a lot of them taste better than the meat versions anyways. Broccoli burgers with Russian dressing and veggies is amazing, and Frieda's Soytaco tastes ridiculously better than beef/turkey for tacos, and so much healthier.

All I've had to do was take some supplements to make up for what only comes from meat, and that's not a big deal. Plus, the meat industry is disgusting. They inject so many hormones and steroids into the animals, and almost always treat them horribly. With the availability of affordable, healthy, delicious vegetarian/vegan foods, I really see no reason to eat meat. Especially since you're supporting animal cruelty.

Although, I have no issues with people who eat meat. My whole family does, and there is no sense in trying to convert them. They accept my vegetarianism, and I accept that they eat meat. Meat is a hard thing for a lot of people to give up.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 2:01 am 
damien5894 wrote:
I've been vegetarian for about 2 years, and I feel much better than I did when I ate meat. I've always hated meat, with the exception of chicken and occasionally beef depending how it was served (tacos, soup) so it was very easy to give up. Really the only things I had to cut out of my diet were chicken, some broths and soups made wit chicken/beef stock, and some candies made with gelatin. Most meat foods can be made vegetarian, and a lot of them taste better than the meat versions anyways. Broccoli burgers with Russian dressing and veggies is amazing, and Frieda's Soytaco tastes ridiculously better than beef/turkey for tacos, and so much healthier.

All I've had to do was take some supplements to make up for what only comes from meat, and that's not a big deal. Plus, the meat industry is disgusting. They inject so many hormones and steroids into the animals, and almost always treat them horribly. With the availability of affordable, healthy, delicious vegetarian/vegan foods, I really see no reason to eat meat. Especially since you're supporting animal cruelty.

Although, I have no issues with people who eat meat. My whole family does, and there is no sense in trying to convert them. They accept my vegetarianism, and I accept that they eat meat. Meat is a hard thing for a lot of people to give up.

High five, fellow vegetarian.
Seriously, it's SO easy to be a vegetarian these days. You can find anything made out of soy products, and they're generally healthier. I've only been a vegetarian for 4-5 months now. What are the candies that contain gelatin and what kind of supplements do you take?

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 2:23 am 
strangelove wrote:
damien5894 wrote:

Seriously, it's SO easy to be a vegetarian these days. You can find anything made out of soy products, and they're generally healthier. I've only been a vegetarian for 4-5 months now. What are the candies that contain gelatin and what kind of supplements do you take?

I have nothing against vegetarians but let us pretend for a second that everyone did convert to being vegetarian, what happens to these domesticated animals that, even if freed, could not fend for themselves?

Not to mention how badly that would disrupt the ecosystem.

As a side note, if you show me how I can get 250 grams of protein per day for 10 dollars or less without cramming unflavored soy down my throat, I will consider converting to vegetarianism.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 2:25 am 
strangelove wrote:
damien5894 wrote:

Almost every gummie candy contains gelatin, but read the ingredients just to be sure. The Tootsie brand doesn't have any gelatin, despite having gummy candies like Dots. Skittles recently stopped using gelatin. Twizzlers and Sour Patch Kids don't use gelatin either. Things like gummie worms and bears, do however. Jell-o is basically pure gelatin, just with color and flavorings. Although you live in Canada, so you probably have some different candies than in the U.S.

I've even found gelatin in things like frozen veggies and canned soup, which I found to be really absurd. Always read the ingredients.

There's also carmine, which is a red coloring, made of powdered beetle shells. It's usually used in candy, but most have stopped using it I believe. Just check the ingredients on red or pink candy.

Currently I'm only taking iron supplements, but I've used others like B12 in the past. Just too lazy to go get them again. :P

Make sure to get a lot of legumes like peanuts or beans in your diet for protein. Soy as well, obviously. Spinach and arugula are good alternatives to lettuce as they have much more nutritional value.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 2:31 am 
That Canadian Guy wrote:
strangelove wrote:
damien5894 wrote:

I have nothing against vegetarians but let us pretend for a second that everyone did convert to being vegetarian, what happens to these domesticated animals that, even if freed, could not fend for themselves?

As a side note, if you show me how I can get 250 grams of protein per day for 10 dollars or less without cramming unflavored soy down my throat, I will consider converting to vegetarianism.

Most of the animals in the meat industry are created specifically for the meat industry. It's not like there's masses of them out in the wild that people need to kill and eat to control their population. If everyone was vegetarian, those masses of animals would not be created, thus there wouldn't be an overpopulation in the wild.

The ones in the meat industry now, hypothetically, could be distributed to dairy farmers. I know nothing about farming other than the obvious things, but I assume many farmers spay and neuter their animals to avoid breeding, unless they are breeders, of course.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 3:02 am 
That Canadian Guy wrote:
strangelove wrote:
damien5894 wrote:

1) Not everyone needs that much protein. I hope you realize you're a rare case. And please, tell me what that source of protein is and we'll see how much fat/sodium you're getting from it.
2)What about the ecosystem?
3)Which domesticated animals are you talking about? I didn't really understand that question.

Basically, what you said, to me, sounded like : I'm not quite sure what would happen, so I'd rather stick to encouraging the murder of animals in merciless industrial environments.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 3:10 am 
Masterdebater
Location: Intactivist City , Town of Acceptance and Genital Integrity For All
I can understand how the guy who's a vegitarian feels. A steak delicious but gives me gas , however I cannot live on rabbit food alone, sushi, oh raw meat is what digests so well.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 3:20 am 
strangelove wrote:
That Canadian Guy wrote:
strangelove wrote:
damien5894 wrote:

1) Not everyone needs that much protein. I hope you realize you're a rare case. And please, tell me what that source of protein is and we'll see how much fat/sodium you're getting from it.
3)Which domesticated animals are you talking about? I didn't really understand that question.

Basically, what you said, to me, sounded like : I'm not quite sure what would happen, so I'd rather stick to encouraging the murder of animals in merciless industrial environments.

I rely mainly on chicken and extra lean ground beef to get that now, both extremely cheap.

If all these animals that we use now for food were released it would certainly disrupt the ecosystem, since they are not even native to most of the areas they are raised in.

Domesticated as in live stock, do you think they would know how to survive on their own? Or has that instinct left them after centuries of having everything handed to them, especially during winter months.

I was simply asking for your thoughts on what would happen if we did magically all become vegetarian, just culling these herds of animals once and for all isn't really humane either.

My honest take on the whole ordeal is we are the top of the food chain, we got here eating meat, just because there is a somewhat viable alternative (realistically is there enough soy production to convert to simply that?), does not mean that we should switch.

How these animals are treated is despicable but that can be solved if the initiative is there.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 3:39 am 
That Canadian Guy wrote:

I rely mainly on chicken and extra lean ground beef to get that now, both extremely cheap.

If all these animals that we use now for food were released it would certainly disrupt the ecosystem, since they are not even native to most of the areas they are raised in.

Domesticated as in live stock, do you think they would know how to survive on their own? Or has that instinct left them after centuries of having everything handed to them, especially during winter months.

I was simply asking for your thoughts on what would happen if we did magically all become vegetarian, just culling these herds of animals once and for all isn't really humane either.

My honest take on the whole ordeal is we are the top of the food chain, we got here eating meat, just because there is a somewhat viable alternative (realistically is there enough soy production to convert to simply that?), does not mean that we should switch.

How these animals are treated is despicable but that can be solved if the initiative is there.

Again,
damien5894 wrote:
Most of the animals in the meat industry are created specifically for the meat industry. It's not like there's masses of them out in the wild that people need to kill and eat to control their population. If everyone was vegetarian, those masses of animals would not be created, thus there wouldn't be an overpopulation in the wild.

The ones in the meat industry now, hypothetically, could be distributed to dairy farmers. I know nothing about farming other than the obvious things, but I assume many farmers spay and neuter their animals to avoid breeding, unless they are breeders, of course.

My mother loves eating meat, but she hates animal cruelty. There's only one brand of meat she buys, called Laura's. Apparently the animals are treated humanely and given food that's natural for them to eat, and aren't injected with hormones and steroids. So there are some animal-friendly meat companies (kind of an oxymoron?) out there, but I'm just not comfortable eating meat. Even the thought of it makes me sick.

It's not like it's only soy that vegetarian/vegan foods are made of. There's hundreds of vegetables out there with plenty of taste. And just because you're a vegetarian doesn't mean you have to always eat healthy food. There's plenty of junk food and fast food that isn't made with animal products. People always bring up the taste issue when arguing against vegetarianism, when really, there is no taste issue. Almost every meat food has been recreated as a vegetarian food. With the right seasonings and toppings, a veggie burger can be just as tasty as a normal burger. And it's not like normal burgers don't have plenty of seasonings and condiments to give them taste, too.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 3:41 am 
That Canadian Guy wrote:
strangelove wrote:
That Canadian Guy wrote:
strangelove wrote:
damien5894 wrote:

It's impossible to solve if every single human being is expected to eat meat. Unless every family has their own farm, the production of animal products is bound to be incredibly industrialized beyond details you'd care to know. If the meat you eat comes from an animal that was treated ethically, meaning that it was not raped for artificial insemination (yes, usually the male is masturbated and his load is shoved up the female's cunt, because they're so fat from the way they're fed that they can't fuck normally), that it was not fed chemical crap, that it did not produce offsprings for the sole purpose of making milk, then you'd be paying 100x the price you pay for the chicken you eat. In which case, there would be no market for animal products. At all.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 3:47 am 
damien5894 wrote:
That Canadian Guy wrote:

Again,
damien5894 wrote:

My mother loves eating meat, but she hates animal cruelty. There's only one brand of meat she buys, called Laura's. Apparently the animals are treated humanely and given food that's natural for them to eat, and aren't injected with hormones and steroids. So there are some animal-friendly meat companies (kind of an oxymoron?) out there, but I'm just not comfortable eating meat. Even the thought of it makes me sick.

It's not like it's only soy that vegetarian/vegan foods are made of. There's hundreds of vegetables out there with plenty of taste. And just because you're a vegetarian doesn't mean you have to always eat healthy food. There's plenty of junk food and fast food that isn't made with animal products. People always bring up the taste issue when arguing against vegetarianism, when really, there is no taste issue. Almost every meat food has been recreated as a vegetarian food. With the right seasonings and toppings, a veggie burger can be just as tasty as a normal burger. And it's not like normal burgers don't have plenty of seasonings and condiments to give them taste, too.

I don't think animals that have been administered steroids are suitable as dairy animals, I'm also unsure of the ratio of male to female animals that are used for meat, steroids work through increasing male hormones such as testosterone, giving females testosterone results in a loss of breast tissue and even complete inability to lactate.

I like veggies just as much as anybody but protein is my main concern, vegetarian food is nowhere near as reasonably priced as meat products either.

A slow transition away from meat may be a good but the way food prices are going it would cause riots, people don't want to pay more for something that is generally considered less, you wouldn't pay more money for a pair of fake oakley sunglasses than you would for a genuine pair would you?

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 3:57 am 
That Canadian Guy wrote:
damien5894 wrote:
That Canadian Guy wrote:

Again,
damien5894 wrote:

I don't think animals that have been administered steroids are suitable as dairy animals, I'm also unsure of the ratio of male to female animals that are used for meat, steroids work through increasing male hormones such as testosterone, giving females testosterone results in a loss of breast tissue and even complete inability to lactate.

I like veggies just as much as anybody but protein is my main concern, vegetarian food is nowhere near as reasonably priced as meat products either.

That my friend, is up to the global economy. It just so happens that there's like a million times more demand for meat than there is for soy products.
Although, tofu itself is pretty cheap. Looky here:

7g of protein per serving, 5 serving per pack, which costs around 2-3$.

Unread postPosted: 25th June, 2011, 4:04 am 
That Canadian Guy wrote:

A slow transition away from meat may be a good but the way food prices are going it would cause riots, people don't want to pay more for something that is generally considered less, you wouldn't pay more money for a pair of fake oakley sunglasses than you would for a genuine pair would you?

Lima beans, lentils, split-peas, and of course soy beans all have fairly high amounts of protein, and are not expensive at all. Of course they don't provide as much protein compared to meat, but its enough to fulfill your need for it. Many grains, specifically triticale, which can be found in some breads and pastas, also provide good amounts of protein. peanuts, too, which taste great on their own or as peanut butter (although peanut butter probably has more fat content) provide protein.

As far as pricing, while vegetarian food isn't overpriced (at least not in my region), it is more expensive than most meats. So I can see why someone may be concerned about that side of vegetarian food. It isn't so drastically high that only the wealthy can afford it, though. My family is lower middle-class, and we can still afford my vegetarian food without burning holes in our pockets. I'm sure this varies from market to market, region to region, though.

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]