Active topics
Unread | New posts
Your bookmarks
Your friends' posts
Your posts | Quotes
Welcome, CommonCrawl [Bot]!

It is currently 19th December, 2014, 6:30 pm

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Page 84 of 105 [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 105  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drugs
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2012, 2:11 am 
Thalido's Fanboy
babyitsfact wrote:
Drugs = fun. Well most (I wouldn't suggest snorting bath salt) but on occasion I'll pop some pills, smoke some weed, huff some air. Stupid? maybe. Fun? Oh yeah!

Also potentially dangerous and/or stupid. Clearly I'm all for personal liberty, but c'mon now, let's be smart about drug use. Fun isn't everything.

Just had a girl from my school die from a heroin overdose this past week. Not fun anymore, is it?

Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2012, 2:40 am 
niko123 wrote:
babyitsfact wrote:
Drugs = fun. Well most (I wouldn't suggest snorting bath salt) but on occasion I'll pop some pills, smoke some weed, huff some air. Stupid? maybe. Fun? Oh yeah!

Also potentially dangerous and/or stupid. Clearly I'm all for personal liberty, but c'mon now, let's be smart about drug use. Fun isn't everything.

Just had a girl from my school die from a heroin overdose this past week. Not fun anymore, is it?

Heroin is a bit more extreme than some Ganj

Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2012, 5:48 am 
Sorry I'm Not Sorry
I don't even do drugs but I think they should all be legal.

I don't really give a shit if someone wants to fuck up their life by getting addicted to meth.

This is Amurrika baby, home of the free.

Unread postPosted: 6th February, 2012, 4:44 am 
I think we should decriminalize, like, the possession of drugs but we should go after dealers. It wouldn't make sense to legalize heroin or meth, because things have to be approved by the FDA, which is set up to protect people, ideally, and...it wouldn't make any sense for the FDA to approve those drugs, because they're incredibly harmful. I mean if we legalize selling meth then wouldn't we have to also just let anyone, any company sell whatever they want? We'd have to stop regulating everything then. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense. Anyway I think we have to protect people from getting hurt, but I don't think throwing drug users in prison is going to do that. I'm only talking about drugs that can be shown to be really bad for you, not pot, I think pot should be legalized and taxed. And I don't think tobacco should be sold anywhere. Just my random thoughts, I probably don't know what I'm talking about :p

Unread postPosted: 6th February, 2012, 9:15 am 
Every government should should aim to minimize the harm done by drugs. It's a shame that instead of that most governments aim to do just the opposite.

I don't really like to use drugs of any kind, even pharmaceuticals, but I still believe that drug usage shouldn't be punishable by law. It only adds to the problem and keeps the business in the hands of criminal organisations.

Of course selling and or trafficking drugs should still be illegal, but usage and possession of small amounts should be legal.

Unread postPosted: 6th February, 2012, 5:55 pm 
Steevie Weevie
Can't understand why people would use drugs at all.

Unread postPosted: 6th February, 2012, 7:27 pm 
stay weird
Blink wrote:

People have an inherent yearning to alter their sense of consciousness, and it is fucking fun.

Unread postPosted: 6th February, 2012, 8:45 pm 
Steevie Weevie
Burns wrote:
Blink wrote:

People have an inherent yearning to alter their sense of consciousness, and it is fucking fun.

Fucking stupid. That's what it is.

Unread postPosted: 6th February, 2012, 9:12 pm 
Something New
Blink wrote:
Burns wrote:
Blink wrote:

Fucking stupid. That's what it is.

Or maybe you're the stupid one. :oface:

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 12:10 am 
Thalido's Fanboy
Shifting the focus for once.

Ethnobotanicals. What are your opinions/thoughts/experiences with these types of mind-altering substances which are not typically found on the street, unknown to most people, and for the most part legal and unregulated.

I'm speaking of plants/herbs/barks such as salvia divinorum, cacti, mimosa hostilis, kava kava, kratom, wormwood, amanita muscaria mushrooms, african dream root, ginseng, betelnut, blue lotus flower, kanna, b. caapi, syrian rue, datura, brugmansia, catmint, intoxicating mint, ginkgo, hawaiian baby woodrose, morning glory, and yerba mate... to name a few.

I've recently gotten interested in exploring lesser known drugs, particularly non-synthesized ones, for it seems they resonate much more nicely with my mind and body (the striking differences I noted on my first acid trip compared to psilocybin mushrooms would be a good example), so I ordered a bit of kratom and kanna leaf to test out.

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 1:59 pm 
niko123 wrote:
Shifting the focus for once.

Ethnobotanicals. What are your opinions/thoughts/experiences with these types of mind-altering substances which are not typically found on the street, unknown to most people, and for the most part legal and unregulated.

I'm speaking of plants/herbs/barks such as salvia divinorum, cacti, mimosa hostilis, kava kava, kratom, wormwood, amanita muscaria mushrooms, african dream root, ginseng, betelnut, blue lotus flower, kanna, b. caapi, syrian rue, datura, brugmansia, catmint, intoxicating mint, ginkgo, hawaiian baby woodrose, morning glory, and yerba mate... to name a few.

I've recently gotten interested in exploring lesser known drugs, particularly non-synthesized ones, for it seems they resonate much more nicely with my mind and body (the striking differences I noted on my first acid trip compared to psilocybin mushrooms would be a good example), so I ordered a bit of kratom and kanna leaf to test out.

Having tried kratom before I can safely say it's quite an enjoyable experience, hard to describe it but it certainly opens your mind up to new ways of seeing the entire world.

Morning glory seeds did nothing for me, however the friend I took them with seemed to be quite out of it, perhaps a higher dose is necessary.

I have also tried ibogaine total alkaloid extract and I must say that aside from peyote it has been the most mind altering substance I have had the pleasure of trying, it really made me rethink old habits and entertain the thought of new ones, also questioning even the most basic things I considered certain.

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 2:45 pm 
Burns wrote:
Blink wrote:

I've always felt very lucky that my reality is of a high enough quality that I have never had any reason to alter it artificially. :keke:

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 2:46 pm 
Mister Pip wrote:
Burns wrote:
Blink wrote:

I've always felt very lucky that my reality is of a high enough quality that I have never had any reason to alter it artificially. :keke:

Oh look, another ass-hat insinuating drugs are only used by the less well off or otherwise debilitated individuals, it seems originality is in short supply amongst the rabid, uninformed masses.

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 2:55 pm 
That Canadian Guy wrote:
Mister Pip wrote:
Burns wrote:
Blink wrote:

Oh look, another ass-hat insinuating drugs are only used by the less well off/depressed, it seems originality is in short supply amongst the rabid, uninformed masses.

I implied that drugs are used by people who wish to leave their reality for another. This would suggest that they find their drug induced reality better than that of the real world. If they did not, then why would they bother?

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 3:01 pm 
Mister Pip wrote:
That Canadian Guy wrote:
Mister Pip wrote:
Burns wrote:
Blink wrote:

Oh look, another ass-hat insinuating drugs are only used by the less well off/depressed, it seems originality is in short supply amongst the rabid, uninformed masses.

I implied that drugs are used by people who wish to leave their reality for another. This would suggest that they find their drug induced reality better than that of the real world. If they did not, then why would they bother?

Your whole argument is based off the common (and unfounded) assumption that people use drugs out of some need for an escape or an inadequacy in their life, which I can honestly tell you is completely false.

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 3:08 pm 
That Canadian Guy wrote:
Your whole argument is based off the common (and unfounded) assumption that people use drugs out of some need for an escape or an inadequacy in their life, which I can honestly tell you is completely false.

No, my argument is based on the fact that taking drugs alters your reality. I then draw out the conclusion that drug users are dissatisfied with their reality in the following way.

1. Drugs alter your reality
2. People, generally, pursue pleasure and avoid pain
3. Rational people would only alter their reality if doing so increased their pleasure/ decreased their pain
4. People, therefore, use drugs because they are more satisfied in their drug induced states than in their non-drug induced states

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 3:12 pm 
Mister Pip wrote:
That Canadian Guy wrote:

No, my argument is based on the fact that taking drugs alters your reality. I then draw out the conclusion that drug users are dissatisfied with their reality in the following way.

3. Rational people would only alter their reality if doing so increased their pleasure/ decreased their pain
4. People, therefore, use drugs because they are more satisfied in their drug induced states than in their non-drug induced states

So basically what you're saying is you cannot have the cake and eat it too? Such an old and bedraggled argument...

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 3:16 pm 
That Canadian Guy wrote:
Mister Pip wrote:
That Canadian Guy wrote:

So basically what you're saying is you cannot have the cake and eat it too? Such an old and bedraggled argument...

I'm not exactly sure what you meant. I'm merely saying why I think people take drugs, and there is nothing in what I said that would indicate that there is anything wrong with taking drugs. That is a completely separate argument. (I basically said people take drugs because it's fun, lol).

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 3:23 pm 
Mister Pip wrote:
That Canadian Guy wrote:
Mister Pip wrote:
That Canadian Guy wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you meant. I'm merely saying why I think people take drugs, and there is nothing in what I said that would indicate that there is anything wrong with taking drugs. That is a completely separate argument. (I basically said people take drugs because it's fun, lol).

Well in conjunction with your post about how awesome your life is and that being the reason you don't alter your reality, one would get the implication that only those with some feeling of inadequacy would take drugs.

Unread postPosted: 7th February, 2012, 3:31 pm 
Haha, it is true that I feel lucky that I am sufficiently happy with my reality that I don't use drugs to alter it, and it would suggest that people who use drugs are less happy than I am. Most people in the world, however, are less happy than I am, not just drug users lol.

Let's model this mathematically.

Say that you and I both need a certain amount of happiness to feel content, say 100 utiles.

I get my full dose of 100 utiles from my daily life.
You, however, only get 85 utiles from your daily life, and need 15 utiles from drugs to feel content.

I feel lucky because I can get enough happiness from my daily life without resorting to drugs.

Page 84 of 105 [ 2098 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 105  Next

Time zone: America/New_York